Not to be confused with English novel.
|Translator||Martin Merz, Jane Weizhen Pan|
|Set in||Ürümqi, 1970s|
English (英格力士) is a 2004 Chinese coming-of-age novel by Wang Gang, about a boy growing up during the Cultural Revolution in remote Ürümqi, home to many political exiles including the boy's intellectual parents.
English has been translated into English and many other languages.
Wang Gang wrote a sequel in 2012, titled Kashgar (喀什噶尔), which follows the protagonist in his late teens.
- Love Liu (刘爱, Liu Ai), the protagonist
- Sunrise Huang (黄旭升, Huang Xusheng), Liu's classmate
- Garbage Li (李垃圾), real name Li Jianming (李建明), Liu's classmate
- Second Prize Wang (王亚军, Wang Yajun), Liu's English teacher from Shanghai
- Ahjitai (阿吉泰), Liu's Uyghur teacher
- Love Liu's father
- Love Liu's mother
- Sunrise Huang's father
- Sunrise Huang's mother
- Commander Shen
- Director Fan
Credits to the contents of this page go to the authors of the corresponding Wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English (novel).