|Mayor||Gheorghe Sucaciu (Ind.)|
|Area||36.41 km (14.06 sq mi)|
|Density||840/km (2,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET/EEST (UTC+2/+3)|
It lies on the Olt River and has a population of 28,330 as of 2011.
The city is located at the foothills of the Făgăraș Mountains, on their northern side.
On the east side of the city, between an abandoned field and a gas station, lies the geographical center of Romania, at .
The Olt River flows east to west on the north side of the city; its right tributary, the Racovița River, discharges into the Olt on the west side of the city.
The Berivoi River (or Făgărășel) feeds into the Racovița from the right; it used to bring water to a major chemical plant (now closed) located on the outskirts of the city.
A more plausible explanation is that the name is given by Fogaras river coming from the Pecheneg "Fagar šu", which means ash water.
Another source of the name is given by folk etymology to be Hungarian, as the rendering of "wood" (fa) and "money" (garas), with legends stating that money made of wood had been used to pay the peasants who built the fortress (Făgăraș Citadel) around 1310.
The first written document mentioning Romanians in Transylvania referred to Vlach lands ("Terra Blacorum") in the Făgăraș Region in 1222.
After the Tatar invasion in 1241–1242, Saxons settled in the area.
As in other similar cases in medieval Europe (such as Foix, Pokuttya, or Dauphiné), the local feudal had to swear oath of allegiance to the king for the specific territory, even when the former was himself an independent ruler of another state.
Therefore, the region became the feudal property of the princes of Wallachia, but remained within the Kingdom of Hungary.
The territory remained in the possession of Wallachian princes until 1464.
Except for this period of Wallachian rule, the town itself was centre of the surrounding royal estates.
Bethlen rebuilt the fortress entirely.
Ever since that time, Făgăraș was the residence of the wives of Transylvanian Princes, as an equivalent of Veszprém, the Hungarian "city of queens".
The church holds several precious relics of her life.
Both are made of yellow silk.
The church was built around 1715–1740.
Not far from it is the Radu Negru high school, built around 1909.
It was originally a Hungarian language middle school where Babits Mihály taught for a while.
A local legend says that Negru Vodă left the central fortress to travel south past the Transylvanian Alps to become the founder of the Principality of Wallachia, although Basarab I is traditionally known as the 14th century founder of the state.
By the end of the 12th century the fortress itself was made of wood, but it was reinforced in the 14th century and became a stone fortification.
In 1850 the inhabitants of the town were 3,930, of which 1,236 were Germans, 1,129 Romanians, 944 Hungarians, 391 Roma, 183 Jews and 47 of other ethnicities, meanwhile in 1910, the town had 6,579 inhabitants with the following proportion: 3357 Hungarian, 2174 Romanian and 1003 German.
Făgăraș's castle was used as a stronghold by the Communist regime.
During the 1950s it was a prison for opponents and dissidents.
After the fall of the regime in 1989, the castle was restored and is currently used as a museum and library.
The city's economy was badly shaken by the disappearance of most of its industries following the 1989 Revolution and the ensuing hardships and reforms.
A Jewish community was established in 1827, becoming among southern Transylvania’s largest by mid-century.
Yehuda Silbermann, its first rabbi (1855–1863), kept a diary of communal events.
This is still extant and serves as a source on the history of Transylvanian Jewry.
A Jewish school opened in the 1860s.
There were 286 Jews in 1856, rising to 388 by 1930, or just under 5% of the population.
Sixty Jews were sent to forced labor.
After the King Michael Coup of August 1944, many left for larger cities or emigrated to Palestine.
The last Jew of Făgăraș died in 2013.
- Radu Negru (Negru-Vodă), legendary ruler of Wallachia (1290–1300).
- Gabriel Bethlen (1580–1629), Prince of Transylvania between 1613–1629.
- Inocențiu Micu-Klein, (1692–1768), bishop of Alba Iulia and Făgăraș (1728–1751) and Primate of the Romanian Greek-Catholic Church, had his episcopal residence in Făgăraș between 1732–1737.
- Ioan Pușcariu, captain of Făgăraș.
- Aron Pumnul (1818–1866) scholar, linguist, philologist, literary historian, teacher of Mihai Eminescu, leader of the Revolution of 1848 in Transylvania.
- Nicolae Densușianu (1846–1911), historian, Associate member of the Romanian Academy.
- Aron Densușianu (1837–1900), poet and literary critic, Associate Member of the Romanian Academy.
- Badea Cârțan (Gheorghe Cârțan) (1848–1911), fighting for the independence of the Romanians in Transylvania.
- Ovid Densusianu (1873–1938), Aron Densușianu's son, philologist, linguist, folklorist, poet and academician, professor at the University of Bucharest.
- Ștefan Câlția, painter (born in Brașov in 1942).
- Ion Gavrilă Ogoranu (1923–2006) member of the fascist paramilitary organization the Iron Guard, in the group of the Făgăraș Mountains, former student of the present Radu Negru National College, class of 1945.
- Octavian Paler (1926–2007), writer and publicist, former student of the present Radu Negru National College, class of 1945.
- Laurențiu (Liviu) Streza, born in 1947, Orthodox archbishop and metropolitan of Transylvania, former student of the present Radu Negru National College, class of 1965.
- Horia Sima (1907–1993), Co-Conducător of Romania in 1940–1941, and second leader of the Iron Guard.
- Nicușor Dan (born in 1969), mathematician, activist, and politician.
- Făgăraș Mountains
- List of castles in Romania
- Tourism in Romania
- Villages with fortified churches in Transylvania
Credits to the contents of this page go to the authors of the corresponding Wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Făgăraș.