The Company has been based at this location since 1339, the present building being their third hall on the site.
Little is known about the first hall.
The second hall was built circa 1634-36.
Pepys wore his best silk suit for the occasion, but the hall was so full of people that he left for Paternoster Square to order a new, ordinary silk suit.
The hall was restored after the Great Fire of London in 1666 and eventually demolished in the late 1820s.
Marble statues by Samuel Nixon of children representing the Four Seasons stand on pedestals on the lower flight of the grand staircase, which The Gentleman's Magazine described as “a work of the highest merit ... such beautiful personifications.” The hall is entirely detached and occupies an entire block.
The Illustrated London News declared “’The Goldsmiths’ is the most magnificent of all the Halls of the City of London.” Those present at the opening dinner in 1835 included the Duke of Wellington and Robert Peel.
In 1941 a bomb exploded in its southwest corner, but the building largely survived and was restored after the Second World War.
Credits to the contents of this page go to the authors of the corresponding Wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldsmiths' Hall.