Kang (Korean surname)
Kang is a Korean family name.
All together, the holders of this name number are 1,176,847 in South Korea, according to the 2015 national census, ranking 6th largest Korean family name.
The name "Kang" can actually represent any of 5 different hanja, or Chinese characters.
However, the great majority (more than 1 million) bear the surname 姜, related to the Chinese surname pronounced Jiāng.
Clans whose surname uses the Hanja character 姜 include the clans of Jinju and Geumcheon seat.
Clans whose surname uses the Hanja character 康 include Sincheon () and Youngkang/Yeonggang ().
The Sincheon Kang clan is further subdivided into Goksan () (Hangul: 곡산 강씨; Hanja: 谷山 康氏) and Chaeryeong (Hangul: 재령 강씨; Hanja: 載寧 康氏).
- Kang Yisik, Lord General and Military Official of the Kingdom of Goguryeo.
- Kang Gamchan, Lord General and Military Official of Goryeo dynasty.
- Kang Jo (died 1010), general who served under Emperor Mokjong and Emperor Hyeonjong of Goryeo
- Kang Hongrip, a military official of the Choson Dynasty.
- Kang Huian (1417?-1464), a prominent and painter of the early Choson period
- Kang Sehwang (1713–1791), a mayor of Hansung (now the capital city of Seoul), high government official and the Royal Representative Artist and Calligrapher in the mid-Choson dynasty.
- Kang Kyung-wha 38th Minister of Foreign Affairs of South Korea
- Kang Gyeong-hyo (born 1964), South Korean modern pentathlete
- Kang Chan-hee, member of South Korean boy group SF9
- Kang Daesung, South Korean singer from Big Bang
- Dawon Kahng, Korean-American scientist, inventor of MOSFET
- Kang Sung Hoon, South Korean singer from Sechs Kies
- Kang Dong-suk, South Korean violinist
- Kang Dong-suk, South Korean yachtsman
- Kang Dong-won, South Korean actor
- Kang Doyoung (Kang Full), webtoon artist
- Kang Han-na, South Korean actress
- Kang Ha-neul, South Korean actor
- Kang Hee-gun (Gary), former member of South Korean rapper duo Leessang, former host of South Korean variety show Running Man
- Kang Ho-dong, South Korean entertainer, comedian and MC
- Kang Hye-jung, South Korean actress
- Kang Hye-mi, South Korean volleyball player
- Kang Ye-won, South Korean actress
- Kang Hyung-gu (Kino), member of South Korean boy group Pentagon
- Kang Ji-hwan, South Korean actor
- Kang Ji-hyun (Soyou), member of girl group Sistar
- Kang Jiyoung, former member of Korean girl group Kara
- Kang Young-hyun (Young K), also commonly known as Brian Kang, is a singer, rapper and bassist of South Korean rock band Day6
- Jung-ho Kang, baseball player.
- Katherine Anna Kang, American video game industry figure, machinima film producer, designer, entrepreneur and business woman.
- Kang Kyung-Ho, South Korean mixed martial artist
- Kang Min, better known as Nal_Ra, South Korean StarCraft player
- Kang Mi-na, South Korean singer, member of girl groups I.O.I and Gugudan
- Kang Min-hyuk, South Korean drummer, actor, and member of CNBLUE
- Kang Min-kyung, South Korean singer from Korean duo Davichi
- Peter Kang, American-born Korean rapper of Eastern United States
- Kang Ryang-uk early North Korean politician and a North Korean Protestant Minister and Chairman of the Christian Federation of Korea a deputy prime minister of North Korea and a secretary of the Supreme People's Assembly.
- Kang Yong Sop, chairman of the Korean Christian Federation and vice-president of the Korean Council of Religionists. He was also vice-president of the North Korean branch of the Pan-Korean Alliance for Reunification, delegate to 12th Supreme People's Assembly and member of the SPA Presidium, and director of the Pyongyang Theological Academy, ambassador to Romania in 1969, and to Malta in 1971
- Kang Young-joong
- Kang Seul-gi, member of South Korean girl group Red Velvet
- Kang Seung-yoon, Leader of South Korean boy group WINNER
- Kang So-ra, South Korean actress
- Sung Kang, Korean-American actor
- Kang Chang-hee, Speaker of the National Assembly of South Korea
- Kang Chang-gi, South Korean football midfielder
- Kang Nung-su, a North Korean literary critic and politician. He was a vice premier and member of the politburo of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Kang Daniel, South Korean singer/rapper, contestant in Produce 101 season 2 and the center of South Korea boy band Wanna One
- Kang Dong-ho, South Korean actor
- Kang Dong-ho, former Produce 101 Season 2 contestant, NUEST member
- Emil Kang Korean-American arts leader and Presidential appointee to the National Council on the Arts
Credits to the contents of this page go to the authors of the corresponding Wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kang (Korean surname).