|Borders||Mġarr, St. Paul's Bay|
|Mayor||Dario Vella (PL)|
|Total||22.6 km (8.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||150 m (490 ft)|
|Population (Jan. 2019)|
|Density||500/km (1,300/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Mellieħi (m), Melliħija (f), Melliħin (pl)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||MT-30|
|Patron saint||Mary's Birth (Bambina)|
|Day of festa||8 September|
It has a population of 10,087 as of March 2014.
Mellieħa is also a tourist resort, popular for its sandy beaches and natural environment.
This is probably derived from the ancient Punic-Roman salt pans which existed at Mellieħa Bay.
The site of the salt pans is now occupied by the Għadira Nature Reserve.
Prehistory to Middle Ages
Mellieħa was first inhabited in around 3000 BC, during the Neolithic period.
Several megalithic remains have been found, including the temple of Għajn Żejtuna, as well as several caves and tombs, in which tools and pottery fragments were found.
During the Roman period, troglodytes began to live in the caves of Mellieħa's valleys.
The cave settlements continued to exist during Byzantine rule, but were abandoned in the early medieval period.
In 409 AD, the cave was consecrated as a church, and it is now known as the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Mellieħa.
Mellieħa was one of the first ten parishes of Malta.
It still existed in 1436, but it was abandoned soon afterwards in the late 15th or early 16th century, since the north of Malta was no longer safe due to raids by Muslim corsairs.
Under the Order of Saint John
Malta was one of the first regions that Muslims entered in the Mediterranean, and this is evident in the Islamic heritage of buildings and ancient relics of mosques and homes.
In addition to that the Arabic language that has remained rooted in the language of the current people of the island, this was starting from year 826 A.D. and last for 220 years.
During the early years of Hospitaller rule in Malta, Mellieħa remained abandoned.
In the late 16th century, the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Mellieħa was rebuilt.
The northern coast of Malta began to be fortified in the early 17th century.
The first fortification to be built in Mellieħa was Saint Agatha's Tower, which was completed in 1649.
The Devil's Farmhouse found at Ta' Randa area is an example of Maltese farmhouses built in the 18th century.
British period to present day
Mellieħa as it is today developed while Malta was under British rule.
The village became a parish once again in 1844, and began to develop after the British encouraged people to settle in the area by giving leases to the population.
The parish church was built in various stages in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and it is said that the locals helped building the church.
A postal agency opened in Mellieħa in 1891.
Mellieħa has seen a lot of development since the end of the war.
The Mellieħa Local Council was established by the Local Councils Act of 1993.
The town of Mellieħa stands on a group of hills on the northwest coast of the main island of Malta.
Mellieħa proper consists of the areas of Mellieħa Heights, Santa Maria Estate, il-Qortin, Ta' Pennellu, Ta' Masrija and Tal-Ibraġ.
The town overlooks Mellieħa Bay, which includes Għadira Bay, the largest sandy beach in Malta.
To the east of the town and bay, there is the Selmun peninsula, and St Paul's Islands lie about 80 metres off the coast.
Mistra Bay lies close to Selmun, and this marks the boundary between Mellieħa and St. . Paul's Bay
The large Marfa Peninsula lies to the north of Mellieħa.
The Marfa Ridge spans across a large part of the peninsula.
Mellieħa is a popular tourist destination during the summer months.
It is well known for its beaches, with the most well known being Għadira Bay and Golden Bay.
In 2009, Mellieħa was awarded the title of European Destination of Excellence due to its sustainable initiatives.
Mellieħa main roads
- Dawret il-Mellieħa (Mellieħa By-Pass)
- Triq Ġorġ Borg Olivier (Ġorġ Borg Olivier Street)
- Triq il-Kbira (Main Street)
- Triq il-Marfa (Marfa Road)
- Triq il-Prajjiet (Anchor Bay Road)
- Triq Louis Wettinger (Louis Wettinger Street)
- Triq San Pawl il-Baħar (St. Paul's Bay Road)
Twin towns – sister cities
Mellieħa is twinned with:
- Germany Adenau, Germany (since 1996)
- Cyprus Ayia Napa, Cyprus (since 2009)
- Italy Cavriglia, Italy (since 2007)
Credits to the contents of this page go to the authors of the corresponding Wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellieħa.