National Museum of Ireland
|Established||14 August 1877|
|Location||Dublin and Castlebar, Ireland|
|Collection size||Almost 4,000,000 items|
|Visitors||All branches: 1,315,776 (2016)|
|National Museum of Ireland network|
The National Museum of Ireland (Irish: Ard-Mhúsaem na hÉireann) is Ireland's leading museum institution, with a strong emphasis on national and some international archaeology, Irish history, Irish art, culture, and natural history.
- National Museum of Ireland – Archaeology, Dublin
- National Museum of Ireland – Decorative Arts and History, Dublin
- National Museum of Ireland – Country Life, near Castlebar
- National Museum of Ireland – Natural History, Dublin
The National Museum of Ireland descends from the amalgamation of parts of the collections of a number of Dublin cultural institutions from the 18th and 19th centuries, including the Royal Dublin Society (RDS) and the Royal Irish Academy (RIA).
The establishment of the museum collections is generally deemed to have been with the purchase of the collection of Nathaniel Gottfried Leske in 1792.
One of the earliest iterations of the RDS museum was in Hawkins Street House, where the Leskean Cabinet was displayed along with a collection of casts and busts.
This exhibition was open to the public between noon and 3pm, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Aside from the exhibition there was a lecture hall, laboratory and library.
Here the Leskean Cabinet continued to be displayed, along with newly accessioned collections from the professor of mineralogy and geology, Charles Lewis Giescke, curiosities, and the Hibernicum which was a display of minerals and geological specimens from the island of Ireland.
During this time the collections were open to public two days a week from noon to 3pm, and to students at all times.
By this time the need for a new museum was deemed to be critical.
This led to the construction of the building which now houses the Natural History Museum on Merrion Street.
With the planned expansion and development of the museum, Scouler requested that a curator or Director been employed by the RDS.
This led to the appointment of Alexander Carte in 1851.
The museum took part in the International Exhibition of Art-Industry of 1853 exhibiting objects in the Hall of Antiquities along with the RIA.
Following this the museum opened five days a week to the public.
The Science and Art Museum was established in 1877, becoming the National Museum of Science and Art in 1900, and the National Museum of Ireland after independence.
It also included the collection of the Museum of Irish Industry, founded in 1847.
The collections of both the RIA and RDS formed the basis for the Archaeology and History section of the Museum at Kildare Street.
Many of these pieces were found in the 19th century by poor people or agricultural labourers, when population expansion led to cultivation of land which had not been touched since the Middle Ages.
Indeed, without the intervention of George Petrie of the Royal Irish Academy and like-minded individuals from the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, most of the metalwork would have been melted down for the intrinsic value of its materials, as did frequently happen despite their efforts.
Contemporary Irish are more tuned to their heritage, as can be seen in the example of the Irish Bog Psalter, which was discovered and reported by an alert machine operator in July 2006.
Decorative Arts and History
National Museum of Ireland – Decorative Arts and History, including the Great Seal of the Irish Free State, is the part of the collection kept at the large Collins Barracks site, a former military barracks named after Michael Collins in 1922.
This site, opened in 1997, also holds the Museum's administrative centre, a shop and a coffee shop.
This section has displays of furniture, silver, ceramics and glassware, as well as examples of folk life and costume, and money and weapons.
A Chinese porcelain vase from about 1300 AD, the Fonthill vase, is one of the features.
The Soldiers & Chiefs exhibition features military artifacts and memorabilia tracing Ireland's military history from 1550 to the present.
Special exhibitions are mounted regularly; in summer 2007, for example, replicas of six Irish High Crosses that were subsequently shown internationally.
Main article: Museum of Country Life
Country Life is the most recent part of the museum to be opened.
The museum is focused on ordinary life from the mid-19th century to the mid-20th century, with much of the material coming from rural Ireland in the 1930s.
There are displays on the home, the natural environment, communities and forces for change.
Natural History Museum
Main article: Natural History Museum (Ireland)
The Natural History Museum, which is part of the National Museum, although often thought of as distinct, is on Merrion Street in Dublin and houses specimens of animals from around the world.
It is also known as the Dead Zoo by locals.
Its collection and Victorian appearance have not changed significantly since the early 20th century.
The Museum is overseen by a Board of Directors, of whom two are nominated by the Royal Irish Academy and one by the Royal Dublin Society, both of which have contributed significantly to the institution.
It is led operationally by a Director, under whom are a Head of Collections and Learning and a Head of Operations.
Reporting to the Head of Collections and Learning are the Keepers of Antiquities, Art & Industry, Natural History, and Folklife, the Registrar, and the Heads of Conservation, Education, Design and Photography.
Within Operations are the Heads of Facilities, Human Resources, Finance, Corporate Affairs, Marketing, Commercial Development and ICT.
List of directors
- 1877–1883: William Edward Steele
- 1883–1894: Valentine Ball
- 1895–1907: George Tindall Plunkett
- 1907–1916: George Noble Plunkett
- 1916–1921: Robert Francis Scharff (acting director)
- 1921–1929: J.J. Buckley (acting director)
- 1934–1939: Adolf Mahr
- 1939–1947: Patrick O'Connor (acting director)
- 1947–1954: Michael Quane (in position of "Administrator")
- 1954–1976: Anthony T. Lucas
- 1976–1979: Joseph Raftery
- 1979–1988: Breandán Ó Ríordáin
- 1988–2012: Pat Wallace
- November 1995 - April, 1996: Eamonn P. Kelly (acting director).
- 2012–2013: Seamus Lynam (acting director)
- 2013–2018: Raghnall Ó Floinn
- 2018 to present: Lynn Scarff
Credits to the contents of this page go to the authors of the corresponding Wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National Museum of Ireland.