From Wikipedia for FEVERv2
Jump to navigation Jump to search




CountryNaxxar_header_cell_0_1_0 MaltaNaxxar_cell_0_1_1
RegionNaxxar_header_cell_0_2_0 Northern RegionNaxxar_cell_0_2_1
DistrictNaxxar_header_cell_0_3_0 Northern DistrictNaxxar_cell_0_3_1
BordersNaxxar_header_cell_0_4_0 Għargħur, Iklin, Lija, Mosta, Pembroke, St. Paul's Bay, SwieqiNaxxar_cell_0_4_1
MayorNaxxar_header_cell_0_6_0 Anne Marie Muscat Fenech Adami (PN)Naxxar_cell_0_6_1
TotalNaxxar_header_cell_0_8_0 11.6 km (4.5 sq mi)Naxxar_cell_0_8_1
Population (Jan. 2019)Naxxar_header_cell_0_9_0
TotalNaxxar_header_cell_0_10_0 14,891Naxxar_cell_0_10_1
DensityNaxxar_header_cell_0_11_0 1,300/km (3,300/sq mi)Naxxar_cell_0_11_1
Demonym(s)Naxxar_header_cell_0_12_0 Naxxari (m), Naxxarija (f), Naxxarin (pl)Naxxar_cell_0_12_1
Time zoneNaxxar_header_cell_0_13_0 UTC+1 (CET)Naxxar_cell_0_13_1
Summer (DST)Naxxar_header_cell_0_14_0 UTC+2 (CEST)Naxxar_cell_0_14_1
Postal codeNaxxar_header_cell_0_15_0 NXRNaxxar_cell_0_15_1
Dialing codeNaxxar_header_cell_0_16_0 356Naxxar_cell_0_16_1
ISO 3166 codeNaxxar_header_cell_0_17_0 MT-38Naxxar_cell_0_17_1
Patron saintNaxxar_header_cell_0_18_0 Our Lady of VictoriesNaxxar_cell_0_18_1
Feast DayNaxxar_header_cell_0_19_0 8 SeptemberNaxxar_cell_0_19_1
WebsiteNaxxar_header_cell_0_20_0 Naxxar_cell_0_20_1

Naxxar (Maltese: In-Naxxar) is a town in the Northern Region of Malta, with a population of about 13,443 people as of March 2014. Naxxar_sentence_0

The Naxxar Church is dedicated to Our Lady of Victories. Naxxar_sentence_1

The annual village feast is celebrated on 8 September. Naxxar_sentence_2

Naxxar was formerly known for hosting the Maltese International Trade Fair at Maltese International Trade Fair Grounds. Naxxar_sentence_3

The Naxxar Locality is spread over an area of 11 square kilometres (4 sq mi) and has a population of over eleven thousand persons. Naxxar_sentence_4

The whole locality comprises the Naxxar centre, Sgħajtar area, Santa Marija tax-Xagħra, San Pawl tat-Tarġa, Birguma, Magħtab, Salina, Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq and part of Madliena. Naxxar_sentence_5

Etymology Naxxar_section_0

According to legend and the Bible, the people of Naxxar were amongst the first to help the shipwrecked, including Saint Paul, when the ship he was on went aground on the rocks. Naxxar_sentence_6

For this reason many connect the name Naxxar with Nassar (Nasra) which means 'conversion to Christianity'. Naxxar_sentence_7

The name might alternatively be derived from the Maltese verb "Naxar", which means to hang up clothes. Naxxar_sentence_8

Others insist that the name comes from "Nsara" or "Nazaroei" which means 'those who believe in the teachings of Christ who came from Nazareth and thus "Nozri"'. Naxxar_sentence_9

Others say that the word Naxxar means 'one who saws, separates or cuts' – it might be worth mentioning that in Naxxar there are a lot of stonemasons. Naxxar_sentence_10

Magri, in his book says that the word naxar comes from "nazar" which in Hebrew means "chosen for him" or else "one who keeps to himself". Naxxar_sentence_11

This is because in the vicinity the Arabs had formed a village that they called Hal Muselmiet, which means 'the village of the Muslims'. Naxxar_sentence_12

For this reason the Christians started another village – that of the Christians and so the name of Naxxar. Naxxar_sentence_13

Although it has never been clearly explained where the name Naxxar originated, it is a clear fact that there is a close tie with the tradition that the people of Naxxar were the first converts to Christianity. Naxxar_sentence_14

In fact the Parish of Naxxar was the first in the Maltese outskirts, after that of the Cathedral (Mdina) and that of Vittoriosa. Naxxar_sentence_15

This is borne out and further evidenced by the village motto – Prior Credidi – meaning the First To Believe. Naxxar_sentence_16

History Naxxar_section_1

It is not clear when Naxxar started to become a village, but human habitation in the area dates to the prehistoric era. Naxxar_sentence_17

This is evidenced by megalithic remains at Tal-Qadi and at Qaliet Marku. Naxxar_sentence_18

The cart ruts which start at Salina up to it-Targa and near Ghadira tal-Wej were probably first cut in the same period. Naxxar_sentence_19


  • Boissevain, Jeremy (May 2014). . Dialoghi Mediterranei. Istituto Euro-Arabico. (Italian)Naxxar_item_0_0
  • In 1565 the Naxxar area was also the scene of a running battle between retreating Turkish forces falling back on their fleet moored in St Pauls Bay and Christian forces from Mdina and the Viceroy of Sicily; effectively the last stages of the Great Siege of Malta where the Knights Hospitaller managed to resist the forces of Suleiman the Magnificent.Naxxar_item_0_1

The parish church Naxxar_section_2

The Naxxar parish church was one of the ten parishes found to be existing by Bishop De Mello in 1436 and the villages of Mosta and Għargħur were subject to it. Naxxar_sentence_20

De Mello listed it as one of the ten parishes of Malta and it was the first parish dedicated to Our Lady after that of the old cathedral in Mdina. Naxxar_sentence_21

In 1575, the parish of Naxxar had under its control a total of 36 churches – 14 in Naxxar, 5 in Għargħur, 12 in Mosta and 5 in the neighbourhood of these villages. Naxxar_sentence_22

The present church was built between 1616 and 1630 when there were 1200 inhabitants in Naxxar and it was felt that a larger church was needed. Naxxar_sentence_23

The design was made by Tumas Dingli, one of the best architects of the time. Naxxar_sentence_24

The parish priest was Father Gakbu Pace. Naxxar_sentence_25

The choir and the area around it was redesigned in 1691 to the design of Lorenzo Gafà, the same architect who had designed the Mdina cathedral. Naxxar_sentence_26

The parish church was solemnly consecrated by Bishop Alpheran de Bussan on 11 December 1732. Naxxar_sentence_27

The church has two choirs, the renowned Jubilate Deo choir and its sister children's choir Pueri Cantores Jubilate Deo. Naxxar_sentence_28

The choirs are currently being handled by Christopher Muscat and Daniela Callus respectively. Naxxar_sentence_29

The church also has two transepts and a nave and is 130 feet (40 m) long. Naxxar_sentence_30

The width of the transept is 94 feet (29 m) and the nave 30 feet (9.1 m). Naxxar_sentence_31

The large bell was made by the founder Toni Tanti in 1840 and cost £225. Naxxar_sentence_32

The façade of the church has two clocks, one showing the actual time whilst the other is a painting and shows the time as a quarter to eleven (11.45). Naxxar_sentence_33

The main painting shows the Birth of Our Lady which is attributed to the school of Mattia Preti (1613-1699) whilst at the side there are two paintings by Stefano Erardi (1650-1733) which show the Flight to Egypt and the Adoration of the Magi. Naxxar_sentence_34

Other paintings which show the Madonna and Child, St Cajetan, St Aloysius Gonzaga, Our Saviour and Our Lady of Sorrows are the work of the Maltese painter Frangisku Zahra (1680-1765). Naxxar_sentence_35

In the sacristy hangs the antique painting showing Our Lady of the Rosary which was painted on wood by Gio Maria Abela in 1595. Naxxar_sentence_36

The main door, which is made of bronze, is dated 1913 and is the work of Pio Cellini. Naxxar_sentence_37

The door is made up of four main panels depicting the coat of arms of Our Lady, Patroness of Naxxar; the village coat of arms; the coat of arms of Pope Pius X and the coat of arms of the family Zammit who were the benefactors of this door. Naxxar_sentence_38

In 1952 this door was dismantled, and renovated and cleaned by the blacksmith Mastru Lucens Agius. Naxxar_sentence_39

The expenses involved were once more paid for by the same family Zammit. Naxxar_sentence_40

The statue of the Vitorja, which feast is celebrated on 8 September, was imported from Rome whilst the statues of the Good Friday Procession are the work of a Maltese craftsman. Naxxar_sentence_41

Naxxar was one of the first villages which had the statues of the Passion of Our Lord and in fact it is believed that the procession started being held just after 1750. Naxxar_sentence_42

On 9 November 1787, the body of the martyr St Vittorio was brought from the cemetery of St Calepodio of Rome and is found in the altar in the choir. Naxxar_sentence_43

Some of the sculptures and façades were made by Angelo Quatromanni Naxxar_sentence_44

Chapels Naxxar_section_3

In the larger Naxxar area, there are various country chapels. Naxxar_sentence_45

These include the chapel of the Immaculate Conception which was built in the 18th Century; St Lucy's chapel; the chapel of the Shipwreck of St. Paul situated at San Pawl tat-Tarġa; Church of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist; the chapel of St James the Apostle; Santa Maria tax-Xagħra; the Assumption of the Virgin in Magħtab which was built in the 18th Century; the Annunciation of the Virgin at Salina which was built in the 16th Century; the church of St. Michael the Archangel in Salina; that of St John the Evangelist and that of St Mary of the Angels in Baħar ic-Ċagħaq. Naxxar_sentence_46

Fortifications Naxxar_section_4

The actual area where the village of Naxxar is built offers a natural shelter to its inhabitants. Naxxar_sentence_47

In fact, in early times the village was used to reconnoitre the movements of the enemy. Naxxar_sentence_48

Because this height has a plain which goes right down to the sea, we find that three forms of defence were built through the ages – those along the sea such as towers, entrenchments, batteries, redoubts and beachposts - as a physical resistance to those attempting to land from the sea; inland defences like pillboxes – to hinder the advance of the enemy if they were successful in landing; and the fortifications on high ground. Naxxar_sentence_49

Some fortifications around Naxxar include: Naxxar_sentence_50


Notable residences Naxxar_section_5

Palazzo Parisio Naxxar_section_6

Palazzo Parisio in Naxxar was built by grandmaster Manoel de Vilhena in the 18th century. Naxxar_sentence_51

The palace was used by the Jesuit Community as a University. Naxxar_sentence_52

After buying the property in 1898, Marquis Scicluna altered it into its present state and purchased more land at the back, converting it into a large garden, between 1898 and 1906. Naxxar_sentence_53

Palazzo Nasciaro Naxxar_section_7

Palazzo Nasciaro is an 18th-century palace built during the Order of St. John that saw different adaptive reuse throughout the years. Naxxar_sentence_54

It is a prime example of late baroque architecture in the town of Naxxar. Naxxar_sentence_55

Through its history it was the residence of architect Francesco Sammut and later of his son Giovanni Sammut, it was the Lieutenant's house in the north of Malta, later served as the first public school in Naxxar, it was the police headquarters and until recent a police station, it served as a maternity underground hospital during WWII and provided shelter for the community from the war bombardments. Naxxar_sentence_56

Today it is a private residence. Naxxar_sentence_57

Hompesch Hunting Lodge Naxxar_section_8

Hompesch Hunting Lodge was a hunting lodge built by Grandmaster Hompesch close to Gauci Tower and Captain's Tower. Naxxar_sentence_58

Today it is in a dilapidated state. Naxxar_sentence_59

Villa Castro Naxxar_section_9

Villa Castro, formerly Palazzo Castro, is a knights period country residence which has been renovated and developed for modern housing in the 21st century. Naxxar_sentence_60

The outer gardens were demolished and developed in other surrounding buildings along the years. Naxxar_sentence_61

Notable people Naxxar_section_10


  • Mary Spiteri, former Eurovision Song Contest participant, finished in third place in ESC 1992Naxxar_item_2_11
  • Claudette Pace, former Eurovision Song Contest participant and politicianNaxxar_item_2_12
  • Saviour Pirotta, children's author now a British citizen living in the UKNaxxar_item_2_13
  • Toni Bajada, legendary Maltese hero from the 16th centuryNaxxar_item_2_14

Twin towns – sister cities Naxxar_section_11

See also: List of twin towns and sister cities in Malta Naxxar_sentence_62

Naxxar is twinned with: Naxxar_sentence_63


Credits to the contents of this page go to the authors of the corresponding Wikipedia page: