Saint Mark's Tower

From Wikipedia for FEVERv2
(Redirected from Qalet Marku)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

"Qalet Marku" redirects here. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_0

For the nearby battery and redoubt, see Qalet Marku Battery and Qalet Marku Redoubt. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_1

Saint Mark's Tower_table_infobox_0

Saint Mark's TowerSaint Mark's Tower_header_cell_0_0_0
CoordinatesSaint Mark's Tower_header_cell_0_1_0 Saint Mark's Tower_cell_0_1_1
TypeSaint Mark's Tower_header_cell_0_2_0 Coastal watchtowerSaint Mark's Tower_cell_0_2_1
Site informationSaint Mark's Tower_header_cell_0_3_0
OwnerSaint Mark's Tower_header_cell_0_4_0 Government of MaltaSaint Mark's Tower_cell_0_4_1
Controlled bySaint Mark's Tower_header_cell_0_5_0 Din l-Art ĦelwaSaint Mark's Tower_cell_0_5_1
Open to

the publicSaint Mark's Tower_header_cell_0_6_0

Yes (by appointment)Saint Mark's Tower_cell_0_6_1
ConditionSaint Mark's Tower_header_cell_0_7_0 IntactSaint Mark's Tower_cell_0_7_1
Site historySaint Mark's Tower_header_cell_0_8_0
BuiltSaint Mark's Tower_header_cell_0_9_0 1658Saint Mark's Tower_cell_0_9_1
Built bySaint Mark's Tower_header_cell_0_10_0 Order of Saint JohnSaint Mark's Tower_cell_0_10_1
MaterialsSaint Mark's Tower_header_cell_0_11_0 LimestoneSaint Mark's Tower_cell_0_11_1

Saint Mark's Tower (Maltese: Torri ta' San Mark), originally known as Torre del Cortin and also known as Qalet Marku Tower (Maltese: Torri ta' Qalet Marku), is a small watchtower in Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq, limits of Naxxar, Malta. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_2

It was completed in 1658 as the third of the De Redin towers. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_3

Today, the tower is in good condition. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_4

History Saint Mark's Tower_section_0

Saint Mark's Tower was built in 1658 on Qrejten Point in Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq, on the north shore of Malta. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_5

It was built on or near the site of a medieval watch post. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_6

It has sight of Għallis Tower to the west, and Madliena Tower to the east. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_7

Construction of the tower cost 408 scudi. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_8

The tower follows the standard design of the De Redin towers, having a square plan with two floors and a turret on the roof. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_9

In 1741, a fougasse was built close to the tower, and it was believed to have been lost until it was rediscovered during road works in the area in 2014. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_10

The tower was no longer operational by 1743, however in 1792 the Congregation of War ordered that the tower be rearmed with a 3-pounder iron gun. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_11

The British built a small guard room in front of the tower, but this is now in ruins. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_12

Present day Saint Mark's Tower_section_1

Saint Mark's Tower is managed by Din l-Art Ħelwa, who restored it in 1997. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_13

The tower is in good condition, but the area around it has been criticized for the amount of litter left there, mainly from people camping on the peninsula. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_14

The tower is open to the public by appointment. Saint Mark's Tower_sentence_15


Credits to the contents of this page go to the authors of the corresponding Wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint Mark's Tower.