Society of Seminary Teachers of Qom
Not to be confused with Assembly of Qom Seminary Scholars and Researchers.
|Society of Seminary Teachers of Qom
جامعهٔ مدرسین حوزهٔ علمیهٔ قم
|Founded||1961; 59 years ago (1961)|
|Part of||The Two Societies|
|5th Assembly of Experts||64 / 88 (73%)|
The Society of Seminary Teachers of Qom (Persian: جامعهٔ مدرسین حوزهٔ علمیهٔ قم) was founded in 1961 by the leading Muslim clerics of Qom, established by the students of Ayatollah Khomeini after his exile to Iraq in order to organize political activities of Khomeini's followers and promote his revolutionary interpretation of Islam such as the idea of Islamic government.
Since the 1979 revolution, it has largely become the body to keep the regime's registrar of who counts as a grand ayatollah, an Ayatollah and a Hojjat ul Islam.
It has a head who is appointed by the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Republic.
It has demoted a number of clerics over the last three decades.
The Society also include Ayatollah Sistani on its list.
Its founders, none of whom were Ayatollahs at the time, were:
- Ayatollah Morteza Moghtadai
- Grand Ayatollah Naser Makarem Shirazi
- Grand Ayatollah Hossein Mazaheri
- Ayatollah Mohammad Taqi Mesbah Yazdi
- Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami
- Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati
- Grand Ayatollah Mohammad Fazel Lankarani
- Grand Ayatollah Moslem Malakouti
- Ayatollah Ali Meshkini
- Ayatollah Hussein-Ali Montazeri
- Ayatollah Abolghasem Khazali
- Ayatollah Mohammad-Hadi Ma'refat
- Ayatollah Ahmad Azari Qomi
- Ayatollah Ebrahim Amini
- Ayatollah Mohammad Yazdi
The Society approves a list of marjas in Qom.
- List of Ayatollahs
- List of Maraji
- History of principle-ism in Iran
- Council for Spreading Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's Thoughts
- Haghani Circle
- List of current Maraji
- List of deceased Maraji
Credits to the contents of this page go to the authors of the corresponding Wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society of Seminary Teachers of Qom.