Ximenes Redoubt

From Wikipedia for FEVERv2
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Ximenes Redoubt_table_infobox_0

Ximenes RedoubtXimenes Redoubt_header_cell_0_0_0
CoordinatesXimenes Redoubt_header_cell_0_1_0 Ximenes Redoubt_cell_0_1_1
TypeXimenes Redoubt_header_cell_0_2_0 RedoubtXimenes Redoubt_cell_0_2_1
Site informationXimenes Redoubt_header_cell_0_3_0
OwnerXimenes Redoubt_header_cell_0_4_0 Government of MaltaXimenes Redoubt_cell_0_4_1
Controlled byXimenes Redoubt_header_cell_0_5_0 MRRAXimenes Redoubt_cell_0_5_1
ConditionXimenes Redoubt_header_cell_0_6_0 IntactXimenes Redoubt_cell_0_6_1
Site historyXimenes Redoubt_header_cell_0_7_0
BuiltXimenes Redoubt_header_cell_0_8_0 1715–1716Ximenes Redoubt_cell_0_8_1
Built byXimenes Redoubt_header_cell_0_9_0 Order of Saint JohnXimenes Redoubt_cell_0_9_1
MaterialsXimenes Redoubt_header_cell_0_10_0 LimestoneXimenes Redoubt_cell_0_10_1

Ximenes Redoubt (Maltese: Ridott ta' Ximenes) is a redoubt in Salina Bay, Naxxar, Malta. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_0

It was built by the Order of Saint John in 1715-1716 as one of a series of coastal fortifications around the Maltese Islands, and it was originally called Salina Right Redoubt. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_1

Two warehouses were grafted on the redoubt in the second half of the 18th century so as to store salt from nearby salt pans. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_2

It was eventually renamed after Grand Master Francisco Ximenes de Texada, whose coat of arms can be seen on one of the warehouses. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_3

The redoubt and warehouses have been recently restored. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_4

History Ximenes Redoubt_section_0

Salina Right Redoubt was built between 1715 and 1716 as part of the Order of Saint John's first building program of coastal fortifications. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_5

It was one of two redoubts defending Salina Bay. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_6

The redoubt on the other side of the bay, known as Perellos Redoubt, was demolished after World War II. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_7

The redoubt was unique in Malta, as it was the only one which consisted of just a polygonal enclosure with a high parapet wall designed to protect infantrymen. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_8

It did not have a blockhouse, which was a feature found in most other redoubts in the Maltese islands. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_9

Since it was a small work, it only cost 316 scudi, 9 tari, 10 grani and 2 piccoli to build, which was less than one third the cost of an average redoubt. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_10

After 1741, two fougasses were built, one within the redoubt and another just outside its wall. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_11

One of the fougasses still survives today, and it is among the best preserved ones to be found in Malta. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_12

In about 1750, a large building was grafted onto the redoubt. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_13

It served as both a magazine and a warehouse, to serve as storage space for salt from the nearby salt pans at Salina. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_14

A second warehouse was built in the 1770s, during the reign of Grand Master Francisco Ximenes de Texada. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_15

The new warehouse had a large escutcheon with Ximenes' coat of arms above the doorway, and the redoubt became known as the Ximenes Redoubt. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_16

The redoubt did not have any armament, equipment or munitions in 1785. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_17

Present day Ximenes Redoubt_section_1

Today, the redoubt lies on the Baħar iċ-ĊagħaqSalina coast road, and it is overshadowed by the Coastline Hotel. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_18

The redoubt as well as the nearby salt pans were restored between 2011 and 2013. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_19

In 2013, the redoubt was vandalized when graffiti were sprayed on one of its walls. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_20

This has since been removed. Ximenes Redoubt_sentence_21


Credits to the contents of this page go to the authors of the corresponding Wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ximenes Redoubt.