Perellos Redoubt

From Wikipedia for FEVERv2
Revision as of 05:12, 7 January 2021 by imported>Unknown user
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Perellos Redoubt_table_infobox_0

Perellos RedoubtPerellos Redoubt_header_cell_0_0_0
CoordinatesPerellos Redoubt_header_cell_0_1_0 Perellos Redoubt_cell_0_1_1
TypePerellos Redoubt_header_cell_0_2_0 RedoubtPerellos Redoubt_cell_0_2_1
Site informationPerellos Redoubt_header_cell_0_3_0
OwnerPerellos Redoubt_header_cell_0_4_0 Government of MaltaPerellos Redoubt_cell_0_4_1
Site historyPerellos Redoubt_header_cell_0_5_0
BuiltPerellos Redoubt_header_cell_0_6_0 1715–1716Perellos Redoubt_cell_0_6_1
Built byPerellos Redoubt_header_cell_0_7_0 Order of Saint JohnPerellos Redoubt_cell_0_7_1
MaterialsPerellos Redoubt_header_cell_0_8_0 LimestonePerellos Redoubt_cell_0_8_1
FatePerellos Redoubt_header_cell_0_9_0 Demolished after World War IIPerellos Redoubt_cell_0_9_1

Perellos Redoubt (Maltese: Ridott ta' Perellos) was a redoubt in Salina Bay, limits of St. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_0 Paul's Bay, Malta. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_1

It was built by the Order of Saint John in 1715-1716 as one of a series of coastal fortifications around the coasts of the Maltese Islands. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_2

It was demolished after the Second World War. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_3

History Perellos Redoubt_section_0

Perellos Redoubt was built between 1715 and 1716 as part of the Order of Saint John's first building program of coastal fortifications. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_4

It was one of two redoubts defending Salina Bay. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_5

The redoubt on the other side of the bay, known as Ximenes Redoubt, is still intact. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_6

The redoubt was named after Grand Master Ramon Perellos y Roccaful. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_7

The redoubt consisted of a pre-existing mandrague which was converted into a blockhouse, and a rectangular enclosure with a high parapet wall designed to protect infantrymen. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_8

The latter was similar to the design of Ximenes Redoubt, but it also had a small bastion on a corner of its perimeter wall. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_9

After 1741, a fougasse was built inside the redoubt. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_10

In 1785 it did not have any armament, equipment or munitions. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_11

A concrete beach post was built over the remains of the redoubt in World War II. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_12

The remains were demolished after the war, and the site of the redoubt is now occupied by boat houses. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_13

The fougasse possibly still exists buried under these boat houses. Perellos Redoubt_sentence_14

Credits to the contents of this page go to the authors of the corresponding Wikipedia page: Redoubt.